Spooky season is upon us!
Let’s be honest, visiting cemeteries can sometimes be a little bit spooky, and for the most part hauntingly beautiful. The weather is cooler, and the leaves have turned from green to red, gold, orange and brown. I love visiting cemeteries in the fall. I always look forward to doing to some leaf peeping! As you may have guessed, fall is my favorite season.
Halloween is only a few days away, so I wanted to talk about a project I worked on that might help you get into the season.
In 2017 I worked with local author, Sarah May, on bringing her book Haunted Sudbury: 101 true accounts of the paranormal to life. This book features 101 stories of local supernatural occurrences, as told to Sarah May. It’s filled with wonderfully spooky true stories of weird experiences and ghost sightings as well as true crime accounts that left their imprint on our small town.
Here is the book synopsis:
“Haunted Sudbury is a collection of true eye-witness accounts of the paranormal. Experience a different side to the city you don’t hear about everyday
- ‘Lady in White’ haunts a downtown restaurant after a ghastly murder
- A ‘Starship’ is spotted in the air above Vale’s tailings dam
- Mysterious man walks out of a snow bank and bids a final farewell
- Deceased loved one communicates to his girlfriend through a stereo
- Local high school teacher saved by a ghostly warning
- Wife envisions her late husband catch a limo lift to the next world
Violent death. Lost loves. Haunted places. Haunted Sudbury has it all. Pick up a copy and prepare for a spine-tingling good read.”
Below is the image used on the book cover, with a little ghost manipulation added to it. This image comes from Eyre cemetery, one of the oldest cemeteries in Sudbury.
I loved working on this book, designing the layout and cover, and creating the illustrations. I was extremely excited when Sarah asked me if I wanted to include some of my cemetery photography. Nine of my photos can be found at the back of the book, in black and white. It was really exciting to see my photos in print. And still is!
The book launch for Haunted Sudbury took place at a local restaurant, the site of a murder that is described in the book, and is also reported to be haunted. The night of the launch was also held on the anniversary of the murder. Medium Jay Lane was also in attendance, and gave readings and spoke about the restaurant and what she felt. It was a very interesting experience and a great turnout!
Haunted Sudbury is not available in print at the moment, but Sarah May has another book in the works, that should be coming out soon.
Here are some links from the book launch:
- ‘Haunted Sudbury’ features 101 local stories about the paranormal | Sudbury.com
- Spooky stories captured in book | Sudbury Star
- Sudbury author releases book on paranormal activity | CTV News
- Haunted Sudbury: 101 True Accounts of the Paranormal | Goodreads.com
Have you read Haunted Sudbury? Do you believe in ghosts? I would love to read your thoughts in the comments.
Thanks for reading!